How do I dispose of an expired car seat?
4. Proper Trash Protocol
- Remove all extra padding and foam.
- Cut away any straps.
- Remove all metal pieces from the seat.
- Mark the seat. You should clearly mark it as “UNSAFE” or “EXPIRED” on the bare plastic seat so nobody will be tempted to reuse it. Then you can set it out with the rest of your garbage.
Can you use car seats that have expired?
NHTSA says there is no regulation prohibiting parents from using an expired car seat and most states don’t say anything about a car seat’s expiration in their laws. But many states’ car seats laws do require a parent to use the car seat per the manufacturer’s instructions.
Can you donate car seats to Goodwill?
Donating a car seat isn’t as easy as donating furniture. Due to liability among other things, you will often need to check first. For example, many national organizations like Goodwill will not accept them. … The car seat is off your hands, and your loved ones don’t need to pay for a new one.
Is Walmart doing car seat trade in?
Walmart is now offering car seat trade-in events. … If you have an expired car seat or even just an old car seat your child has outgrown, hang on to it so you can bring it to Walmart in time for their next car seat trade in!
Why do children’s car seats expire?
In general, car seats expire between 6 and 10 years from the date of manufacture. They expire for a number of reasons, including wear and tear, changing regulations, recalls, and the limits of manufacturer testing.
What items should not be donated?
25 Things You Should NEVER Donate
- Dirty clothes/linens.
- Ripped clothes/linens.
- Stained clothes/linens.
- Smelly clothes/linens.
- Especially wrinkly clothes.
- Cut off jeans. These items are commonly donated, but they are not commonly sold. …
- Shoes that are scuffed up/ have holes.
- Shoes that smell.
How long are carseats good for?
Yes, car seats typically expire after six years from the date of manufacture. A sticker that provides the serial number includes manufacture and expiration dates.